The Large Village of Malpas, Cheshire
The large village of Malpas, Cheshire once used to be what is called a “market town” in England. It has a current population of around 1,700 people. Additionally, it lies on the border with the neighboring county of Shropshire and also with Wales. The village’s name comes from the Old French words “mal” and “passe, ” which together means “bad passage.”
The village has a long history, and though there were no known Roman settlements in the area, most scholars state that a long Roman road passes through the village on its way from the village of Tilston to the market town of Whitchurch. Scholars also believe that Malpas may have been what the Saxons of the day called a ‘burh, ‘ which was their name for a fortified town.
The first written notice of the village of Malpas is found in the 1086 property survey conducted by the Normans, and which is known as the Domesday Book. At that time, it was called Depenbech. In the Medieval era, Malpas came to be denoted as a market town, holding such an event on regular intervals. It continued to develop through the years, including during the Tudor reign of Henry VIII.
The region became caught up in the English Civil War in the 17th century. The village itself contributed a general who oversaw parliamentarian troops during the conflict, at the Battle of Nantwich in January of 1644. During the Second World War, Malpas saw to the needs of the troops of the exiled Czechoslovakian Army, who were bivouacked in a local park.
The northwestern England ceremonial county of Cheshire, in which Malpas resides, has a current population of around 1 million people. The county itself is mostly rural in nature, outside of certain large towns on the River Mersey and the city of Chester – which is also the county town. Both Malpas and Cheshire are great examples of classic English history.
For accommodation in Malpas check this list of Malpas hotels.